A newly commissioned quartet for Viol Consort written by Matthew Dewey with be premiered on the 3th of August at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu. The work, commissioned by ABC Classic FM producer and leader of Backgammon Gambas, Brooke Green, will present the work in a program of Australian composers. Other composers featured include Peter Sculthorpe, Elena Kats-Chernin, Ross Edwards and Russell Gilmore.
The concert forms part of the ‘Pan-Pacific Gamba Gathering’, which is a worldwide assembly of enthusiasts coming together to play the viola da gamba and to discuss its historical Western European context, its adoption by other cultures, and its future.
The meeting’s six themes celebrate the six strings of the viol:
1. Opportunities to play at all levels;
2. Sessions for teachers;
3. Talks on the viol’s history, and demonstrations of Eastern & Western, ancient & traditional underhand bowed string instruments;
4. New music for old instruments, particularly with a Pacific Rim influence;
5. A Musical feast —
* Local musicians from various traditions
* Instrument exhibits & workshops
* Concerts, concerts, and more concerts
6. Tours & family relaxation Hawaiian-style.